Sunday, February 10, 2008

What Elder Hales Said

Years ago Elder Hales gave a wonderful conference talk on senior missionary needs. He then wrote a sequel in the Liahona (May 2005). I have just been reading it as I prepare a talk on Sacrifice for church today.

"My brothers and sisters, if you have felt stirrings to engage in this work, however quiet those feelings may be, do not procrastinate the day of your service. Now is the time to prepare; now is the time to be called, the time to sacrifice. Now is the time to share your gifts and talents, and now is the time to receive God's blessings for you and your family."

"Only through our faith can we heed God's counsel to 'choose ye this day, whom ye will serve' - to serve the Lord God who made you. And only through a trial of our faith can we receive the miraculous blessings we see for ourselves and our families. 'For if there be no faith among the children of men God can do no miracle among them.'"

"If any man serve me, him will my Father honor." John 12:26. (quoted by Elder Hales).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sacrifice means to make holy, or to go back to the original Hebrew word korfan, it means to draw closer to God. There are many ways to do this, such as parenthood. But it is my testimony that one way that was prepared by the Lord for senior couples is to serve a mission - when called, where called, done with honor, service, and sacrifice.

It is sacrifice to leave family behind, to sell possessions, to learn new ways. It blesses those whom we serve, but it also blesses us abundantly because we literally draw closer to God.

"And whoso layeth down his life in my cause, for my name's sake, shall find it again, even life eternal."

So be it. PL

3 comments:

Martie said...

I am so excited for you. (And I cannot wait until our turn. I hope, hope to go to Africa.) It will be interesting to see where you go!

Martie

Peg Lewis said...

Thanks for the comment! It will be interesting to experience the getting there, that's for sure! We have no sense of the end result - yet!

PL

MandaMommy said...

That's a great quote. I hope to go on a mission someday too. For now, I'll live vicariously through you and your mission experiences. :o)