Saturday, February 9, 2008

Mission: Where We Want To Go

You get to mention where you'd like to go, but it's not binding. Of course we want to go where we are most needed....

But beyond that, we do have certain preferences. Or let's say *I* do have certain preferences:

Mongolia - I've always wanted to serve in Mongolia! I don't know why. It's still true. Senior couples live in yurts, sleep on the floor, and have high-speed internet access. It gets very cold.

Samara - This part of the Russian Federation is somewhat related to the far west of China, which we visited. Like Urumqi (aka Wulumuchi), Samara has minarets. It also seems one would learn a great deal from being there. I'm not sure what they speak, but Russian is probably part of it.

Spain - A few years ago we visited Spain for a week. We were in Andalucia and saw the outside of the Alhambra, the top of a very tall tower within a church in Seville, and the inside of the small town of Antequera - fascinating, all white houses and brown churches and a castle. Spain has a complex history and many languages, and it would be fun to spend more time getting to know it.

Ireland - That's where I'm from! Not really - three quarters of my great grandparents were born in Ireland. I want to see it for myself. I want to hear and learn the language and the music, take long long walks in the inevitably cool and damp air, feel moody in the Irish way, and maybe find some kinfolk.

Peru - A person could learn a lot of different things by being in Peru: llamas, alpacas, and potatoes come to mind.

OK, that's enough. You will notice that nothing here mentions a good reason to go to any of them. A mission is not about travel. It is about service.

So, let me state that I would be happy serving in any of these locations. Wait and see... PL

1 comment:

trogonpete said...

I think you will go somewhere hot, humid, and with no high-speed internet. For what it's worth.

good to have you in the real world now [you're a blogger, therefore you are].