Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sitting In My Closet

Here I am, an hour after the movers were to have been done, sitting in my closet. They have progressed to the stage where they are carrying things out to the van. They have been here 6 hours, and our belongs are wrapped in miles and miles of plastic tape. It is an environmental nightmare.

I am in my closet because there is no furniture in here. An electrical outlet in the bathroom just outside the closet door is keeping the two laptops happy. I am sitting on the floor. Just a few minutes ago I woke up from a fitful 10 min nap with my head on a computer case.

Moving is the pits. STUFF is an abomination - until you don't have a chair to sit on or a bed or pillow for your weary head.

The movers are Russian, or rather Khazk or Kazakh or Kazahk or one of those. One is kind of Mongolian or Hun type, oriental plus Slavic. The other is strictly Turkic or Altaic. They are from the same unnamed city; the former has been in the US for 4 years (and his wife is back home). They drove 10 hours to get here from LA, then got to work. Tonight they go to drop things off in Phoenix, then may head back to LA. I guess it doesn't pay to sleep. I treated them to Bianchi's meatball grinders for lunch, and cokes. They ate while standing at the counter, half of the sub each so they wouldn't fall asleep, then went and sat on the front 'porch' for a smoke.

I have decided to sit in the closet rather than develop the relationship further. I know I would be closing the door each time they go through it, so it's better that I have taken myself out of the action.

The whole process has been annoying: packed drawers were unpacked - POLICY! (and fills up more boxes). A lot of baloney. But it's almost done.

Maybe another hour. We're ready to be done.

Now for the big shocker that we finally figured out: we had thought that the blankets would be draped onto the furniture. We didn't know everything would be taped on in multiple layers and twists and turns. The problem is that they will need their blankets back when they deliver the furniture to the storage facility, so it will be stored - and moved, when we have a place for it - without the blankets that they have spent 6 hours putting on. What about the next move?

Too much to contemplate! It's not likely to happen till 2 years for 2.5 years from now, I think. Unless we go on another mission, and then even longer.

Moral: I have no idea. We have lovely furniture we bought in 1969, and there's not much like it out there today. I guess we could have ditched it and started over. Or not moved, ever. That would mean living in a 3 /1 1200 sf house in Lexington MA, the first home of some of these pieces. No move to Wellesley, South Natick, Sweetwater, a storage unit, or Sallee Pl.

Or else you just put up w/ moving day from time to time. We hope that after today there's only one more time .

No comments: