Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Other mtDNA - A Wish List

For MY lineage, since I don't have a Y chromosome, I can only get mtDNA. It's an interesting thought about how to do this since my father is dead and my brother has the same as mine.

So first, how to get my father's. Well, that would come from his mother, and she is dead and had no daughters. But she did have a sister, who is also dead. Her sister, I just found out, had daughters. One of them lived in CA until 15 years ago or so! Did she have any daughters? I haven't been able to find out. But if she did, or if her sisters did (and I don't know what happened to them - yet) then they have the same mtDNA as my father and his mother and that whole maternal line.

What about my maternal grandfather? He had sisters. Where are their female offspring? I'll have to ask Dot...

And my paternal grandfather? That would be his sisters' daughters' daughters. I met one of those daughters once, one of Aunt Ella's daughters. In 1980, before mtDNA testing. I wonder if she had daughters...I wonder if she's still alive. Someone w/ her name is alive in the right part of Stamford.... That would give us Margaret Fagan's maternal line.

The question is, does it matter? I think so! Genetics has a lot to do with temperament and tendencies, and populations have characteristics that differentiate them from other populations. The implications for understanding are enormous! What do you think?

Obviously this is just an example from my own results. Whose samples do you need before it's too late?

No comments: