Sunday, May 4, 2008

Impolite!

I intend to stop being so polite. Out the door with it also goes being constrained and disciplined and 'correct'. All these things are the veneer of an insincere civilization designed to make sure the others in one's life are comfy and never upset. But there's too much to heed to let niceties prevail, and too much difference that could be made by rocking the boat.

For example, food. Market manipulation, government protections, US subsidies affecting global food production. Makes me MAD!

What makes me mad is my ignorance about such things. BUT NO MORE! I intend to dig deep and learn what's really going on, then reinstate my status as a hot-head and do a least some little things to chip away at all this.

I can't run for Congress because I wouldn't play the game the right way. Whatever it is.

But I can investigate and report.

We're only 230 years old as a nation. That's not much. I'm afraid this great concept is going to fail because of greed and manipulation.

I have a great belief in free markets, but what we have now are not free markets and the US is leading the way in manipulating them, for the benefit of a few tolerated by the ignorance of the many. At least I don't have to be one of those!

I'm concerned about education (as always), about food, and energy.

I'm also excited about the possibilities for these things, the solutions that are beginning to emerge.

I'm concerned about global cooling, but I can't figure out how to do anything about that except to be prepared.

Back 230 years a bunch of regular folks with a concept got together and challenged one of the great nations of the world, one with which they had close ties. That was pretty awesome, and a good example of what can be done. And not necessarily through public office.

The thing is, none of them lived to see if it was going to last. It was a huge experiment that they began and then had to let perk along on its own.

I think we need a restoration. The Gospel needed restoring - it needed returning to its beginnings to start over. I kind of think that's what we need to do w/ the US government also.

But I don't know! I haven't been paying attention. I've been leaving these things to others and allowing my ignorance and inattention to accumulate.

Now it's time to activate myself.

Yesterday I wrote a piece, a very delicate and gently and mildly informative piece, about hunger in Haiti. One of my Shaklee people saw it and was offended. Oy! So what's the point of being delicate and mild?

Right now all I can say is, No More Ignorance For Me! (relatively speaking...)

You can think of this as a slow awakening.

3 comments:

MandaMommy said...

I know what you mean! And the frustrating thing is that I fully believe that most people would see things the way I see them if they really opened their minds to seeing the whole picture without letting their current political beliefs or points of view color their thoughts. There's something much huger and deeper going on here than most people believe. (I have heard people, on more than one occasion, say something like 'So and so got me organic food and that was so rude--I don't eat organic food!' The there were the people on my pregnancy board who were upset that Wal-Mart was only carrying organic baby food because that didn't give them the option of buying non-organic if they weren't 'organic food eaters'. I can't even say anything more without really blowing my top about those things. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING????)

Peg Lewis said...

Up till now I have pretty much trusted people. BAH! We are eroding away from the inside. We are self-satisfied, and resistant to knowledge of the world around us. I can't do anything about it except to write about it on Gatherings.

Or maybe that's the problem - I think that's all I can do. We'll see, we'll see....

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it. I think those of us who were children in the post-war era and grew up in the 1950s simply can't believe anything could be as bad as apparently they are. It's going to be up to those from later generations to squawk when injustices are perpetrated. Please!

trogonpete said...

"I'm concerned about global cooling."

You were supposed to stop being worried about that about 30 years ago!