Friday, August 15, 2008

Walking Intervals

Now that it's easier to walk (I'm no longer anemic, the days are cool), I have been doing a half hour walk each morning, and then occasionally another one in the evening. After having built up using mailboxes (q.v.) while still in Tucson, I decided that just walking would do here in Anacortes.

Until today. Yesterday I heard a Canadian doctor describe a technique for improving the exercise value of walking, and I decided to try what he suggested.

The suggestion: After a warm-up period of 5 minutes, alternate a 30 second walking sprint with a 30 second comfortable stride for the remainder of the time. Then cool down for 5 minutes.

I began the program this morning. Keeping an eye on my timer, I sprinted and strode for 33 minutes, and finished my usual course 4 minutes faster than usual - which meant adding distance till fill out the time.

The area of our neighborhood consists of hills and more hills. I decided to sprint according to the timer and not heed the change in terrain. The uphill sprints were particularly intense.

I had thought I was walking fast on all my walks. I want to use the time well. But the sprints were definitely faster than what I had been doing.

Today my lower legs felt the extra exercise. The whole program was satisfactory for me, and I'm happy that my walks are doing more now. I'm definitely sticking with this program!

No comments: